Monday, December 14, 2009

More than just a UTI

Topaz and Indigo returned Friday for their check up -- and still have a lot of blood in their urine.  Which means that we are not dealing with just a Urinary Tract Infection after all.  There must be something much worse going on for these wonderful kitties -- but whatever that something is it is it makes them not adoptable.

This is a very sad outcome for two very friendly wonderful cats, yet it is a reality that cannot be escaped not only at the Humane Society but in many pet owners lives.  Our pets can get very sick at times -- with illnesses that we may not be able to rescue them from no matter how much we love them, how much money we have, how much time we can give them, or how friendly, loving and wonderful they are.  It happens at the Humane Society also -- and because of the volume of animals they care for it happens there more often. 

I have a tremendous amount of respect for the people who put themselves out so much for these animals.  I have so many people tell me they could never foster because they would just get too attached to the animals.  And I have to respect that.  But these people at the Humane Society care too much about the animals to protect their own emotions and not care for them as much as they are able.  They know that they are going to be hurt and experience loss and pain over and over again -- but that is not a good enough reason to not try to help some.  I have to respect that kind of deep caring as well.  They are unique and wonderful humans.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry about the cats, but I understand. I walked dogs for 4 years at the shelter, until I moved away. It was painful to see the animals that had to get put down, but I know that it isn't a decision that is made lightly. Thank you for fostering for the shelter. I know it can be a lot of work, but i'm grateful that you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments.